Site Meter

Saturday, March 10, 2007

No Prospects In Prospect Place

I'll be 25 this April and have already moved house about 18 times. I haven't lived in 18 different houses but have packed my bags and moved at least 18 times. I seem to spend my life packing my belongings in a bag and unpacking them again. I am the bag lady. Perhaps that's why I found it so easy to live in a tent for 11 weeks. Perhaps that's why I never get attached to a house. Perhaps that's why I never feel settled. Maybe that's why I want to jump ship and do one so often. I suppose it's why the idea of traveling appeals to me so much.

The reason I'm mentioning it is because on the 10th April this year I'll be packing my bags again and moving out of this house. I'll be going to live with Mum and Bert again and Jamie is going back to live with his mum. We'll be moving out on the exact same date as we moved in last year. The reason being that we just couldn't afford it. Well we could but only just about. There was never any money left over to save for travels. We were working all the hours God sent and surviving, only just. It became depressing. It makes me wonder how other couples survive. It makes me wonder how people can afford to have families these days. It makes me wonder what was the point in going to university, racking up loads of debt that can never be paid off because a degree does not guarantee a decent job. It really makes me wonder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, are you and Jamie no longer together? Is this for the best? Or am I reading too much in to it? Either way, I do *sincerely* wish you all the best on another moving.

How do people afford families? Well, speaking for us, all our money went on our children, (still does) and we went without all those things we saw our single friends with. We gave up many offers to go out because we couldn't afford it. I remember the days of scrapping along, making every single penny stretch as far as it could. (I also think the reason my children are so balanced is that all the things I did with them didn't cost anything, as I had no money. Fishing, walking, laughing, wondering at the universe, and on and on and on.) Now I have a *bit* of leeway, we still do the same things, it just makes things easier.

Things always get better. The want, the envy, the bitterness passes, and you can get calm. I did. And you are so much cleverer and clued up than me.

(Oh, and I do so hope you will be coming along to the old webloggers and other various hangers-on meeting when I am in the colonies over Easter! I refuse to not have you there.)

Zoe said...

When I was your age I had moved a similar number of times, I hated it!

I don't have the same money worries that I had then but my experience of having very little money was a valuable one. It taught me to be careful and not to live beyond my means.

The downside of now having some money is that working means that I can't just take off on an adventure.

Hopefully you will now be able to save some spends for travelling.

hootchinhannah said...

Jamie and I are working through things. We both know in our hearts that this move away from Prospect Place is the right one.

I agree that children benefit from an upbringing that doesn't require thousands of pounds, useless materialistic crap that does nothing for the soul.

I will definitely be there for the Easter blogmeet. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Zoe, I know your right. I should look on the positive side of my situation. I know that really I am lucky. Who needs money when you have the love of the people around you?