Site Meter

Monday, March 12, 2007

Pah!

I feel old. It could be to do with the fact that I work with a lot of 16 and 17 year olds. I get on great with them and think of most of them as older than they are. That is until I mention a TV program from when I was a kid and they go 'Huh?' It used be me going 'Huh?'. When did that change? I feel old. I mean, these are people who don't ever remember Snickers being Marathons! Or they don't remember Secret bars or Vice Versas. I bet some of them don't even know who Jason Donavon is.

I especially feel old living in my hometown. Before Ballymena had the big posh new cinema we used to watch our films and eat our popcorn at the State cinema, which had only 2 screens. I was chatting to some of the girls at work and one of them piped up 'Oh aye, the state cinema. I was there once'

Once. I was there a million times! I watched Ghost there! Back to the future! I've only been to the new one once. How old am I?

Ancient.

5 comments:

Nelly said...

You are nearly a quarter of a century old and when you are that old I will take you out for a big celebratory pizza at a venue that's been around about as long as you.

David Todd said...

I remember when the Flamingo was a dance hall - only joking ;-)
I remember Peter O'Hara's Music Stop on William Street, the Monday night band sessions in the George...

hootchinhannah said...

That would be the Pizza Parlour. Do you remember we had a Pizza Hut briefly cybez? I affronted mum by asking for a pizza with no cheese there. Katkins requested the Death by Murder for pudding but she just got a really nice chocolate cake instead.

KnackeredKaz said...

Oh FINALLY someone understands my pain! I'm 28 and I feel ANCIENT! I too work with teenagers (kinda writing workshop capacity) and they look at me like I've 18 heads if I mention Johnny Logan or penny sweets. Everyone keeps saying 'not at all, you're only young, wait til you're 68' (my mother) but honestly, it's awful.

A child on the bus the other day called me 'Missus' and I felt like screaming 'I'm not a missus! I'm a young wan!'

hootchinhannah said...

Damn those teenagers for being so carefree and youthful. I remember when things were good, in my day...

Knackeredkaz, fear not, for while they have youth we have wisdom. Actually I think we're at the awkward stage where we have neither youth nor wisdom, but it will come.