Site Meter

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Thai Time

I survived my first week at school. Next week I have to decide if I want to sign a contract for a year. At this point I don't want to go back home in October. It is too chilled out here. The way of life is so easy and laid back. Everything happens in Thai time. It could be tomorrow or it could be next week. They have a philosophy that if things go wrong, it doesn't matter. People here are the kindest most generous people I have ever met. Here are some examples:

I ordered a chicken and rice dish that was far too spicy for me to eat. Romy asked the owner if he could put coconut oil in it for me to cool it down. He walked off and we thought he just didn't understand us but came back 10 minutes later with a brand new bowl and said it was for free. The teachers at school are always putting parcels of fruit on our tables and sharing their delicious Thai snacks with us. When Romy and I were trying to get a taxi (the only taxis here are motorbikes - brilliant fun!) after going to a club on Friday night we were offered a lift by a local guy who has seen us around and knows some of the other teachers. If you forget something or pay too much they will come running after you to give you it back. I realise that because we are teachers here we get treated better than the blow-in tourists but as a general rule people here are beautiful.

So my first weekend was spent going out Friday night to a club where we there was a live band. They were really good and loving the fact that all us white people were up at the front dancing. Two of the gay male teachers who are also out here went up on the stage for a dance with. I was invited too but declined. Last night we were at another bar with live music and the guys who were sharing our table filled are empty glasses up with whiskey. Compared to us they don't have much but they will always share whatever they do have.

Yesterday I had a Thai massage which was heavenly. I'd been warned that these women are strong and that it would be more painful than pleasurable until a couple of hours after. I think she must've gone easy on me because it didn't hurt atall. It cost me 3 pounds for an hours session. At home this would cost about 50 pounds.

So anybody looking for a holiday here I definitely recommend it. I haven't done Bangkok yet but everyone tells me I don't need to. The markets here are amazing. Bert would probably need to be here a whole year to taste everything he'd want to.

I could talk all day about how good this place is but it's Sunday and it's school tomorrow and I need to go do some swotting up as I'm the only one here who hasn't done the TEFL course and I'm also quite sleepy after the madness of my 1st week. I still haven't taken any pictures yet but I keep thinking there's plenty of time. It'll be done in Thai time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds fab. Glad you are having such a good time.

Nelly said...

What's to decide? Do the year. Bert and I are definitely coming out to visit early 2008.

And get that Tefl course under your belt. See! Thousands of miles away and I'm still bossing. Isn't the interweb wonderful.

Anonymous said...

london Aunt here - delighted you are setling in well, it sounds fascinating. Will you be doing the TEFL locally or via a correspondence course? Anyway.....keep up the good work!1

xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

So glad you are enjoying that beautiful laid back culture, I knew you would.

love Tricia

hootchinhannah said...

They haven't mentioned anything about the Tefl but it won't stop me staying the year. I will still think about it though as it's only been a week. The teaching is hard work but it's good for my brain. Everyone should come to visit. Thailand is the place to be.

Anonymous said...

Hello love,

sorry i didn't speak to you before you left - I know youm will know I was thinking of you - if that makes sense!

I'm on holidays and haven't been checking e-mail etc & just read you blog & realised.

I hope your having a great time - it sounds fab and i knew you would love life there - it truly is a whole new world!
Speak soon - lots & lots of love and give some Romi from me too!

Mel. xx

Dave said...

Hope you have started documenting those recipes for me :0. I'm so pleased you are loving it, hope it keeps getting better and better, oh and say hi to everyone who knows me,heheheh D XOOO

hootchinhannah said...

Hope you had a good time in the 'Dam Mel-y my lovely. Dave, as far as I can gather as long as you put sugar or chili in everything you have yourself a Thai meal.

David Todd said...

OFF TOPIC

just to let you know, you've been tagged

Anonymous said...

Sounds absolutely brilliant. Great you're enjoying it. We're off on our holidays for a week to Feurterventura. Dad. xxxxx