Site Meter

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Thailand: The People

As in every culture the people have different quirks. In Ireland we get drunk and say so I did, so I am and so I will after each sentance. In Thailand people are vain. The school has mirrors in the corridor and the kids are constantly checking themselves out. Everyone carries a flannel around with them and dabs at their faces to soak up the sweat. They are obsessed with olbas inhalers for the nose. You can buy them in packs of 10 and you will always see at least 4 kids in your class with an inhaler stuck up their nose.

They love our white skin. In shops you can buy skin whitening cream. They walk around underneath umbrellas to stop tanning anymore than they already have. Talcolm powder can be bought everywhere and is used as sun block for the face.

For some reason it seems like everyone is injured at the minute. I have never seen so many bandages on people's legs arms and faces. I don't know why but maybe people are careless here. Thai people don't like to eat unless everyone else is eating. If you go to a restaurant the people you are with have ordered food they will only pick at it if you are not eating. Thai people also don't like to refuse anything that is offered to them. I offered Pii Noi a million cigarettes one night when I was drunk and Bradley told me that every time I went to the toilet he kept putting them back in my packet.

Thai people like to laugh and have fun (sanuk). If you get bit by a dog they will laugh. If you fall over they will laugh. If you crash your motorbike into a wall they will laugh. If someone makes an incredibly un P.C. comment about terrorism they will laugh. They don't mean any harm it's just the way they view life.

They are kind, warm, gentle and generous people. They don't like anger and they are respectful of each other. They look out for each other and always do what they can for one another. I never see a Thai person turn away a beggar. Even when they know that the beggar will buy drink. They have less than a lot of people but they give more. They are a beautiful race. They get annoyed with tourists but if you make an effort to speak Thai and you are respectful of their culture (eg don't dress like a tart, don't show public displays of affection and most importantly, don't diss the king) then you are given a lot of respect back in turn. I think I could stay here forever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i couldn't agree more hannah. thai people taught me alot about the nation i live in and how much time is wasted on begrudging and worrying. they're so kind, generous and honest that it actually took me a while to get used to it.

enjoy yourself love

mikey x

hootchinhannah said...

Never ever will you be short changed in a shop in Thailand. If you leave something behind they will run after you to give it to you. I suppose Mikey you would love to come out here again.

Thailand is not without it's faults but I love this place more than anywhere I've ever been to.

Anonymous said...

Know what you mean Mikey - when we were there you questioned peoples intentions because British are more suspicious of people genuinely being nice.
I'm so glad you like it Banana - it totally restores in the nicer side of mankind!
speak soon.
Mel.
xx

Anonymous said...

ugh - thats supposed to say restores your faith in the nicer side of mankind!

silly.
x

hootchinhannah said...

I think we are all in agreement that Thai people are lovely. Although the more touristy areas are different I'm told.

Anonymous said...

one of the questions that got lost in cyberspace was how do the people feel about their former leader who was ousted in a military coup? he's now bought controlling shares in man.city football club. great yoy're enjoying life there. back from latitude festival and cant be arsed with capital letters and punctuation to much.xxxxx

hootchinhannah said...

Dad was that you? Surely you know me well enough to know that politics is something I struggle with in my own country let alone Thailand. I will try to find out for you though. Was Latitude good?