Site Meter

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Dead Bird Season

A number of weeks ago I started to notice a lot of dead birds. I'd see them lying at the side of the road on my way to work. One day I saw 3 different dead birds. I couldn't tell you what sort of birds they were 'cos I'm not an ornithologist but there was a black one with a speckled chest and a big one that was a fawny (or is it fauny Mels?) colour and I can't remember what the other one was.

I mentioned this to Dirt Bird (purely coincidental that it's dead bird season and her name is Dirt Bird) and she thought it sounded ominous. I wondered how they were dying. Maybe bigger birds were killing them or they fell out of trees. The wicked Holly Cat caught a babby robin last week. She didn't kill it but she left it in a state of shock.

Then it was all quiet on the dead bird front.I thought the season was over until this morning I heard a small thud off the window. I looked out to see a tiny wee bird lying on the ground. It probably died instantly from a broken neck. Poor wee thing. When will the carnage end?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Roman mythology, fauns are place-spirits (genii) of untamed woodland. Romans connected their fauns with the Greek satyrs, wild and orgiastic drunken followers of Bacchus (Greek Dionysus). However, fauns and satyrs were originally quite different creatures. Both have horns and both resemble goats below the waist, humans above; but originally satyrs had human feet, fauns goatlike hooves.

It seems fawn is the colour & faun the mystical creature. Ha - the mystery is explained.

AND....
JCDecaux is Europe's largest out-of-home advertising company. So......they are the advertisers of all bus/tram/train shelters. Now - just for that other thing we wanted to google but which I can't remember.....
Mels. x x

Anonymous said...

Your granny is a bird healer. Talk to her about what to do if a bird flies into the window (and get her to tell you the story about the time Joe O'N. brought a tree-creeper to her and how it climbed up hisleg!!).

hootchinhannah said...

Mels - excellent research. And you were right about JCDecaux and he's not a manufacturerer of really thick glass like I thought. Ha!

Ganching -I never knew Matty was a bird healer!! I wonder if she can teach me? I will ask her to tell me the story next time I see her.