Site Meter

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

For Tomorrow

Aha! Some dude (John Perry) has written a book on the Art of Procrastination! I knew there was a purpose to it. My mate told me he had borrowed a book from the library about proccrastination and how to overcome it. Of course, he hasn't read it yet. I don't know what Perry says about it but I am coming up with my own theory that centres around me not feeling bad for not doing the things I'm supposed to be doing. It goes like this: Procrastination is a modern day concept born out of the illusion of time. The notion of 'time' has changed since man was a more simple being. Time was told by the sun and the seasons. Now time is told by numbers (grrr...numbers!) Cavemen did not procrastinate. They did not put off hunting because they were too busy scratching their bums. So, if procrastination is a symptom of modern day society, it is nothing more than a social construct, in which case, it can be deconstructed (Yeah! We're gonna break that bitch down!) Procrastination is just another word we use to make ourselves feel bad. The word itself comes from the Latin pro meaning 'forward' and crastinus meaning 'of tomorrow' so to put another spin on that, it means putting something off 'til tomorrow and that's a good thing because that means you have faith that tomorrow will come.

I think it's good to take the pressure off and go with the flow and believe that things will happen when they're meant to happen. My tutor last year always used to say "trust the process" and "don't force anything". Why we battle with ourselves internally is a mystery. Always believing we should be doing this, that or the other instead of just doing what we want to do. And sometimes we want to build virtual cities and breed virtual fish and then blog about the whole exciting experience.

Is it obvious that I'm putting off doing my final piece of coursework? I did feel it was very important to write this blog. And play guitar. And drink some wine.





3 comments:

Leitrim Aunt said...

I like your theory for procrastination you could become the some dude once said with that one

Rob Z Tobor said...

Agree it is important to write your blog and play the guitar but I am forced to drink tea as I dont drink wine. . . . and I may also have something like a shortbread biscuit or a small cake and point at things on a knowing way.

hootchinhannah said...

aaahh...drinking tea, eating shortbread biscuit and pointing at things in a knowing way is procrastination at it's very best. Shortbread was made to be eaten and things were made to be pointed at so it is all very purposeful.

Thankyou Leitrim Aunt...be sure and let everyone know that some dude once said it's ok to procrastinate!