Site Meter

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Bogus Bonus

Being in a band is worse than being in a relationship. Why? Because there's more than two people involved. Jakers was the first to throw his head up. Actually, it was probably Gus who was the first one to walk. Then he came back. Then Jakers left. Then Jakers came back. Then Tobe left. Then I took sabbatical because I was too busy with course work and my head got a little fried with all the dramatics. Now all the boys are back playing together and I'm still not sure what I want to do.

Things should be better after Wednesday. I have an exam on CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It is my least favourite approach to counselling but I still gotta know how to use it. It doesn't really make my heart sing. That's why, instead of revising, my flat is cleaner today than it's ever been. After Wednesday I have one more assignment to do. I have until July to finish it and as long as I reach my 30 hours and pass everything I'll graduate into 3rd year. I'm not sure how I feel about the exam. They are my least favourite method of testing someone's ability and they've never been my strong point (put me under the spotlight and make me prove myself and I will automatically rebel because that's easier to stomach than being a failure).

Everything else is ho hum. Even Ziggy has little to report. We're living life day by day, hour by hour, burning scented candles because I got so many for my birthday. There was good news. I got my first ever bonus at work. Of course, they'll tax the bejesus out of it but that still leaves me with a couple of hundred pounds. I have been wondering what to do with it. My natural instinct is to hoard it away for a rainy day because I know for a fact there will be rainy days ahead. You don't go through 6 flatmates in a couple of years and not become a little apprehensive about where the next rent money's gonna come from. Then I thought I should treat myself to something because all my money has been tied up with learning and I haven't had something special in a while. I thought about a digital recording device so I could add bits and pieces to my songs. This would also be handy if I decide to start jamming again. Then I think I should be sensible and use the money to finally get my driving test (yawn). And though it's nice to have a bonus I can't help but hate the indecision and dilemma of what to do with it. Money complicates everything.




2 comments:

Rob Z Tobor said...

Money does mess stuff up, particularly if you ideally need slightly more than you have. I think you should stick with the band but remain chilled about it, while it works then great but if it hits bad times just back off a bit until the dynamics sort themselves out. I hate Exams luckily I am too old for them to make the slightest difference any more. One perky of being old and mad is folk think you are old and mad whether you have passed an exam or not.

Somewhere out in the big wide world is the perfect flat mate all you need to do is track them down. My advice is go for the quiet timid ones then you can sort of mould them into the perfect flatmate to meet your needs.

hootchinhannah said...

Aaaah, and we live in a society that enforces the notion that we always need more than we have. I do think when I get my exam out of the way I'll have a bit more clarity on what to do about jamming. Hmmm...the perfect flatmate. Yes, they probably do exist. I'm thinking when I find the perfect 'mate' that'll sort out a lot of my flatmate issues. Until then I may just surf the blowhole with whatever loon is about me.